Saturday, November 17, 2007

What was I thinking?!?!?

So I had the fabulous opportunity of being a mother to 3 children ranging from the ages of 4 to 11. I had it all planned out we would do some light house work, have some pizza, and watch a movie. Sounds simple doesn't it?

Well I made one horrible mistake. I decided to take all 3 kids in with me to pick the movies. I guess I should acknowledge that I have a hard time deciding which movie to choose because there is such a large assortment to choose from.

My thought was we would run in and be out of Blockbuster in 5 or 10 minutes. I was so wrong. Immediately the children scattered and started hollering from their isle. They wanted to sow me their movie and plead their case as to why we should get it.

I was out numbered and it felt as if the walls were closing in on me. People were looking all around trying to figure out who this Julie was and why she wasn't responding to the 3 hollering voices. I too looked around like I had no idea who the kids were summoning.

Finally like a bolt of lightening I had a brilliant plan. I would allow the oldest child to pick the movie of her choice. I of course gave her the boundaries of what she could do and then set her free telling her as she left not to holler, make a choice and meet me at the front of the store in 5 minutes.

As I turned around pleased with myself I was met by 2 sets of eyes glaring right through me. The 4 yr old and 8 yr old didn't think my plan was a good idea at all. So I thought what the hell. I would let them choose together one other movie to rent.

45 minutes later we left Blockbuster. I can't tell you how excited I was to breathe in the fresh air. This was a good experience for me. I have learned that I am not ready to be a mom of 3 and that if I bring children with me to rent a movie I need back up. That ratio of children to adult should be at least 2 to 1.

3 comments:

Jonathan Hacking said...

I understand the scenario. I have a 3, 5, and 6 year old and whenever I go shopping with them I ensure I have someone else with me if I can help it. (Little brothers are nice that way, especially in keeping my kids entertained so I can drive). One thing about the idea that I would recommend if you try it again is to agree before you get to the store on some ground rules (one movie each,everyone has to vote on it, or something like that) and then make it crystal clear that they are not coming again with you unless they are good this time. It is a good idea to keep those things in mind. By the way, I like what I see in you and would like to get to know you better. You can email me at jonpaup@yahoo.com or jonpaup@gmail.com if you want to talk.

Beth said...

Hey Julie, WOW!! What a blast from the past. How are you? Did Heather lead you to my blog? So cool. We are doing great here in Utah. Let me know what is up with you.
Beth

Anonymous said...

Julie,

The family is great and growing up. Isaac is in Jr. High and the youngest, Oliver, is in Kindergarten. Life is changing -and it's all good. How is Montana and how the heck is Rachel? I have often wondered about her. Montana is so different than California. Don't ya think? Is that where Ian is from? What are you up to there? Working? Playing? Dating? Tell me more.

Good to hear from you..tell Rachel hi.

Love, Beth