Friday, April 18, 2008

Unconditional Love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUSB6eBoFs

I have seen this video many times and every time I do I cry. It reminds me of a lady on my mission. Her name was Ester and she was in her mid 50's. She lived in a small town named Jutiapa and had a son who was in his 20's. Her son was born with severe cerebral palsy.

The lived at the top of one of the mountains there and she was always in town pushing her son around in his wheel chair. One day when I was talking to her I asked her how she got the wheelchair up the mountain since it was just a very beat up dirt road. She replied that she carried him. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My Spanish wasn't great at the time but my senior companion let me know that I had understood her.

Everyday she would carry her son down the mountain to a gas station that let her keep the wheelchair there safely. She would then take her son into town because she believed he need that stimulation, he needed people.

I remember talking to her and my eyes filling up with tears because I couldn't imagine the love she felt for her son. At the end of the day she was exhausted because she had pushed him around and he wasn't light. Then she would take him to the gas station, cradle him in her arms and carry him up the mountain to their home. She did say that many times people had helped her carry him but that she loved to be able to do it for him.

I love that I had the opportunity to get to know that lady and love her for who she is----what a wonderful, kind, and loving mother.

3 comments:

Maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maureen said...

I remember when you told that story of that special mother at your homecoming sacrament meeting after your mission. Amazing. Goes to show you that mothers will do anything for their children. You will find that out when Jacob, Mary and Nathan become a permanent part of your life. Life is good, especially when we are happy. I love you, Jule.

Mom

Janelle said...

Very touching.