Monday, May 19, 2008

Hands...




Well folks these are my hands. I was born with these hands and they are a small part of who I am. Its funny, the first time I realized my hands were different I was in Kindergarten. A kid who I had never met before made fun of my hands and it crushed me. However I lucked out because I had great little friends who stood up for me and I survived.
Now lets fast forward 28 years later. I am a grown woman now and really my hands are what they are. I joke about certain things being a 10 finger job, mainly because I don't want to do the job. They make wearing gloves difficult and I am blessed that I wasn't deaf because signing would be quite difficult.
By now you are probably wondering why I am writing about my hands. I was at the store a few nights ago waiting in line minding my own business. There was a lady in her mid 30's I'm guessing with 3 kids in front of me. The kids kept looking at my hands and finally whispered to their mom. Just as they were leaving she turned looked at me, my hands, and then said yeah that is weird and gross.
I'm not going to lie, it hurt my feelings. However it turned from hurt to pity for that ignorant lady and her children. I don't mind it when people ask about my hands, that's fine. Unfortunately I do not have a cool story as to why they are the way they are. But I answer them andmost times its all good.
I couldn't believe how rude this lady was and that she was teaching her children to be like that too. Anyhow I just haven't been able to let this go and I thought that writing about it would help. I'll let you know if it does help!!

16 comments:

Jen Stewart said...

Hey Julie! I'm getting into this situation with my little Hazel and SO wondering how to handle things. Right now she has a head shaping helmet, thumb splints on each hand and oxygen. I too am amazed at how small minded people are and and how freely vocal they seem to be. I still haven't decided if I dislike the comments or the staring and then not commenting most. Also still trying to decided how to handle the unsolicited commenting. I find old people are the worst...those little old ladies will get you every time!

Tamara said...

ERRRRRRRRRRR! Some people are SOOO stinkin lame. Remember when I was humiliated after having Zack because a lady at the store said I looked very pregnant still? I know this is tiny in comparison of a lifetime of people saying hurtful things, but those people are poop heads, jerks, lame-ohs, thoughtless, and incredibly rude and they hurt your feelings even though you know they are the ones who are in the wrong. Just know that the rest of the civilized world would know to be kind and if they have questions to simply ask. All the rest aren't worth your time. But still, ERRRRRRR.

Anonymous said...

Julie, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope that blogging it out did help you.

pacemaker said...

Julie, I'm glad that you are able to rise above the ignorance and stupidity of other people who are insensitive and obviously non caring! You are so capable of doing anything you choose to do, especially love another woman's children. Happy to hear that you don't let people like that get to you. You are you and that is wonderful to me!
My little girl, McCall gets that kind of thing all the time, Like "Why does she walk like that?" I just usually ask them in return, "Why do you look like you do?" People are different, it just take ignorant people to make comments about it.

Tammy Hendricks said...

Stupid, stupid lady. It's a shame her kids have her for a mom.

Anonymous said...

Julie-
I have been thinking about you and thinking about you and then low and behold I found you via Melissa Anderson-Smith's blogspot. I saw Julie on her list of names and wondered so I clicked and saw your pics of your beautiful hands. I knew it was you. I am so excited to hear a little bit of how you are doing. So sorry to hear of your lame issue at the store. You know, I don't know if I can say this and appear to still be a somewhat obedient and forgiving mormon but you know in the hereafter you can take your hands then and go up and deck her. Hah!! So, good to see you and know that you are alive and well. Do you know who I am??? I am your most favoritest Ricks friend, Liz. :)

Julie said...

Liz

I am so glad you found me. You are my long lost friend and I have missed you. I need your email and or phone number so we can catch up!!!

Janelle said...

Grrr. I am not at the pity, ignorant part. I'm still at angry.

Patsfield Family Photos said...

Congrats, on the engagement!

Tirsa said...

I agree...people can be so ignorant and rude. I have lots of friends who have adopted children who don't have their same skin color and they get a lot of rude comments, too. So far, my children just so happen to look a little like us so I haven't gotten those remarks yet but I worry about how I will handle it if we ever do.
It is so sad that a mother of three children isn't doing her job in teaching them to be respectful, kind, non-judgmental and caring human beings. You are going to do a much better job with your three little ones that you get to nurture and love!

Lisa Pereira said...

That's unbelievable and hurtful. I am sorry for you and sorry for her children, but don't feel sorry for her because I think a grown woman should know better. You are awesome and I like your 10-fingered job comment...hilarious. Take care!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
D and C said...

It is amazing the number of IGNORANT people on our Society, but you know, those moments, and comments make us stronger. I can tell you that your hands are HOT, they are a part of you, and I love you to pieces. I am chubby, and taller then most people in my life, and...I have a very strange birth mark!! LOL!! I KNOW you still love me! lol!

Jason and Emily said...

I'm really glad you shared your important thoughts and feelings with us. Thank you.

D-dawg said...

Wow, Julie, I know I shouldn't be surprised at that woman but I am! How insensitive and sad that she can't teach her children the proper way to behave!!