So I have been thinking about humans. I know i am one.....The thing is I don't understand why we as humans do what we do. We need other people in our lives. It has been proven that being alone is not good for our health. Heck I learned that when I watched Cipher in the snow in seminary. (I still hate that movie, so sad.)
Anyhow being that we need each other why are we the only creatures who can and do destroy each other. In the animal kingdom it is because they literally survive off of each other and yes that makes sense to me.
We are supposed to be these highly intelligent beings that can reason. We love, we feel, we can communicate, we don't have to feed off of each other....We can be vegetarians, vegans, freegans, whatever we want.
Yet we still make decisions that can and do destroy not only ourselves but those around us. I know it has to do with agency. On a side note I know that people say free agency. But I think we need to be careful with that phrase. We have agency that is given to us freely. It is not free though. To every choice we make there is a consequence be it good or bad.
My question to you is why do humans in general make choices that hurt and or sometimes even destroy others? I would like to know your thoughts on this.
3 comments:
I think it is due to selfishness. Humans by nature are selfish and learning to put other people's thoughts and feelings before yourself is hard. Therefore, we hurt each other when we are just thinking of ourselves and going after our own desires. You see it so often in the world. It is all about ME these days and you see families breaking down, and people being hurtful to each other.
It's Jeanette...
People are constantly in a struggle to feel in control of the things and people in their lives. People are hurtful because they feel powerful in their abuse. It is the feeling of omnipotence that they get from being able to push people through mazes they create, almost a God-complex of sorts. This would explain why people who have more money than they could ever spend, choose to destroy the financial futures of those around them, or they choose to run for positions of authority. They definitely don't need the paycheck, but they crave the power of life and death beneath their thumbs. It's sick, but it's "human". Or, more decidedly, it's what human has become.
It is a matter of being self- centerd, usually. When somebody cares more about their own needs they are in survival mode and will end up hurting other people. But that backfires and then everyone ends up hurt.
Post a Comment